Review: Altus Labs CBD Beats L-Theanine For Anxiety By A Long Shot
Note: Unfamiliar with CBD? Click here for a quick overview. Not sure which CBD vendor to buy from? For more vendor reviews, click here! To learn more about nootropics, click here.
Purchasing From Colorado Dispensaries is an Easy Process
My journey to discovering Altus Labs hasn’t been a short one. For the past few years, I’ve been hearing a lot about CBD, mostly in passing or via Facebook posts from random interweb friends I haven’t seen since high school.
A Californian through and through, I’ve never had the chance to visit a place where recreational cannabis is legal–until recently. I was able to make a trip out to Colorado to check out Rocky Mountain National Park (gorgeous, by the way) and explore Boulder, Denver, and Longmont.
Upon arrival, I quickly found a dispensary near me in Boulder humorously dubbed Fresh Baked. Their service was quick and painless; I was in and out in 10 minutes or less. Their menu was comprehensive, but I was only interested in their CBD.
Fresh Baked offers CBD in tincture, flower, and pill form. I settled on a bottle of said pills from Altus Labs. Each pill contained 10mg CBD and a negligible <1mg of THC.
Altus Labs CBD is Highly Effective for Anxiety and Insomnia
I primarily wanted to try CBD because I tend to be an anxious person and have suffered from insomnia for 5+ years. Studies suggest low doses of CBD may be wake-inducing while higher doses may be sedating, so naturally I experimented with varying dosages.
How to Start Taking CBD: Dosing Strategies
As always, start low and work your way up incrementally. Truth be told, I never found CBD to be wake-inducing. The dispensary dude informed me that 1 pill (10mg) was considered 1 dose, so I started off my cannabi-journey with that.
The effects were significant and actually too strong for my liking. I felt very tired an hour after consumption and a bit foggy-headed. These effects lasted for about 3-4 hours, tapering off as time went on. After establishing this baseline for myself, I experimented further and came away with a set of dosing strategies for various desired effects. Your mileage may vary, and note that the below dosages are specific to Altus Labs products.
- Nootropic effects: ~5mg paired with 1-2 lattes (~60mg – >120mg caffeine). This combo felt very similar to l-theanine + caffeine in that the CBD helped to ameliorate the jittery-ness of caffeine. I actually found CBD to be far superior to l-theanine.
- Insomnia relief: 20mg – >40mg. The first night, 20mg helped me fall asleep quickly and comfortably with no morning grogginess. Tolerance builds up quickly though because I found myself needing to increase the dosage a little if I partook more than 2 nights in a row.
- Anxiety relief: <5mg – 10mg is all I needed to temper anxiety. It’s not a strong knock-your-pants-off effect, but more a relaxing feeling that takes place in the backdrop of one’s emotional playground. Anxiety is not entirely removed, but moreso dampened. I’d liken the feeling to drinking really strong chamomile or lavender tea (both shown to decrease anxiety) under warm fuzzy blankets in front of a fire.
My Cannabidiol Experience: Positives far Outweigh Negatives
Given the laundry list of potential health benefits CBD has to offer, there’s no question in my mind that it’s worth trying. I experienced many positive effects and very little to no side effects once I found my ideal dosages.
- Decreased anxiety
- Shortened sleep onset latency (time taken to fall asleep)
- Improved quality of sleep (subjective, studies show mixed results)
- Nootropic effects when paired with caffeine
- Better feeling of well-being, most likely due to better sleep
- Tiredness, if dose is too high
- Foggy thinking, if dose is too high
Where to buy CBD: Beware! All CBD is Not Created Equal
While CBD from Altus Labs proved highly effective, CBD quality and effects do vary greatly between vendors, regardless of whether it is acquired from a dispensary or legal online store. Much of it is trial and error, along with proper research.
For further guidance on buying, read the section in our overview titled “Where and how can I purchase CBD?”
If you enjoy our content, please consider subscribing to our site via the form in the bottom footer of this page or the top of the left sidebar. We really appreciate your support and engagement, and value any feedback immensely. If you subscribe, you will be notified once a new review is published. No spam. We promise.